It has been a while since I posted anything about starship models so I began to scour the interweb and came across many new impressive examples.
None impressed me more than this model of the USS Enterprise -1701-refit complete with lit battle damage.
This model does not represent one movies worth of damage, but two, that from the Wrath Of Khan, with engineering damage and a couple of scorch marks on the saucer and The Undiscovered Country, the massive hole inflicted on the USS Enterprise-A by Chang’s Bird-of-Prey.
I managed to get the low down on this model from it’s creator, Dave Windham, and here he explains the process behind the model.
This is my build up of Polar Lights 1/350 U.S.S. Enterprise Refit. It was done as a special commision with some sepecific instrutions. Basically to f*** up the Enterprise. He wanted a combination of Star Trek II damage and Star Trek 6 damage. So, here’s how I did it…
The main model pretty much followed the instructions. I used photoetched detail sets from Paragrafix and PNT in various places. The lighting system is a combination from several different manufacturers and for the main control board I used the Model# S-XYZ-1 Gen 2 Weapons board from Starling Tech. I had it customized to only fire the starboard torpedo since the port side was trashed. I went with this board because it has a great torpedo system with sound and will also control the nav/strobe lights.
Now for the damaged areas. The Engineering section was pretty simple. Using reference photos I determined where the damage was supposed to be and used a dremel to carve it out. Then I went back with a woodburning tool and gave it all a little metling. [pic_01,pic_02]
The saucer section damage was a bit trickier. The kit parts were way too thick to be in scale. I fixed this by using mold making putty to create a mold of the sections [pic_05].
Then I carefully cut out the panels from the saucer parts. The panel lines worked great for realigning the mold [pic_06].
Poured in some Allumilite to make a thinner section [pic_07]. Dremelled out the holes and made some small panel sections using the aztec pattern and .14mm styrene. Gave those a bit of melting, also [pic_08].
Since this is a big hole we needed to see some of the bulkheads and interior rooms. I used strips and sheets and followed some on-line blueprints and created an interior section [pic_03] and then melted it out [pic_04]. Gave it all test fitting [pic_09] and threw in some quick lights for a test [pic_10].
For the flickering lights I just pulled LEDs from cheap flameless tea lights and integrated them into the wiring on their own circuit for optional lighting. The whole in the saucer also has some white fibre optics connected to a flickering LED for a sparking powerline effect.
For overall finishing I used the Aztec decals that came with the kit. I went with the on screen grey theme. I’m a bigger fan of on screen appearance rather than matching studio models (If that’s blasphemy, I beg forgiveness).
I am very happy with it, overall. It is due to be delivered to the client next week.
Visit Davids Facebook page here to see other models and videos of this ship.